Incentive for new members to introduce themselves

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Thaum, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Thaum

Thaum Cyan VIP Cyan VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

So basically, I've noticed that new members rarely introduce themselves. I've been trying to get them to, by PMing them or commenting on their status messages, and so far I've only gotten 1 person to introduce themselves. Clearly, my strategy isn't working. This is frustrating because without introducing themselves, those new members are going to have a hard time becoming active members of the community. So, my proposal/suggestion is to create some sort of incentive for those new members to actually post an introduction. Or, at the very least, give them some sort of obvious notification that lets them know that the introduction section exists. I'm not really sure how it would work, but I think that it will definitely help the community get some new members.

2. Kasegawa

Kasegawa Purple VIP Purple VIP Pink VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Thaumpls

3. Aceials

Aceials Black VIP Black VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

lulno [​IMG]

Kasegawa likes this.
  4. Thaum

r00d

DrQuantumScale, kirifan256 and Jorno like this.
  5. rasmus15951

rasmus15951 Staff Member Red VIP Purple VIP Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer

I dunno, I don't think I've ever introduced myself, on any version of the forum, but I'm still an active member in the community :p (my inactive period doesn't count, kay?)

6. Thaum

Yeah, but it seems like a lot of people make an account, and then decide that there's nothing to do, and just leave. I feel like if people actually introduced themselves, they would realize that there is something to do here, and would consider staying as an active member.

DrQuantumScale, kirifan256 and Jorno like this.
  7. rasmus15951

rasmus15951 Staff Member Red VIP Purple VIP Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer

Yeah, agree on that part, see people once or twice in SB, and then never again, sad really, we need more people in SB :(

8. RobinHoodPT

RobinHoodPT Teal VIP Teal VIP Legend Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

I will take it to thr other staff to see if we have any idea!

9. Tokikaze

Tokikaze Treasure Hunter Knight 2018 Red VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

A function that blocks all contents and doesn't allow postings until you make the introduction...Maybe not.It's too cruel

10. Judah

Judah Game Designer Rainbow VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Errr, that might be a little much. :p
    Maybe @Denian wants to look into this. I certainly don't think it's necessary (and I don't think members should be forced into introducing themselves- absolutely not), but I don't see the harm in a notification that pops up on your first visit, if it's possible.

11. KaliTan

KaliTan Forum Mod Staff Member Administrator Christmas VIP White VIP Dark Green VIP Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Many forums feature this kind of system, not sure how well it would work here if our current community is all memes.

12. Denian

Denian Minor Local Deity of Sarcasm | WebDev Staff Member Administrator Halloween VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Don't get me wrong, I like encouraging people to introduce themselves... but discouraging those who want to dive right in somewhere else? Nope, don't wanna do that.

Might consider looking into an automated mail or something, though... "You signed up and never posted anything. Do youu want to tell us the reason? Write to xyz@aoa.com. You might also want to introduce yourself and get some fun conversations going." Something along those lines.

13. Nomad

Nomad Bot Master Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

@Thaum

Perhaps I'll look into having Tome do this when she's up and running. Definitely doable. I think it's even something that I had Rosemary doing before, just never got around to putting it back in.

14. Denian

Denian Minor Local Deity of Sarcasm | WebDev Staff Member Administrator Halloween VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Didn't rose just reply to new introduction threads with one of two different comments, depending on how long people have been registered? Anyways, unless we find a ready-made xenforo plugin for stuff like this, Tome/Rose might actually be the faster solution. Just make sure people don't get more than one such reminder.

15. Nomad

Nomad Bot Master Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

I'll look into it.